The monument to the 3rd Maryland Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill. (South Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of Maryland.
There is also a monument to the 3rd Maryland Infantry at Antietam.
The regiment was commanded by Colonel Joseph M. Sudsburg, a Baltimore wood carver and designer who was born in Bavaria and fought in the Hungarian War of Independence. It brought 278 men to the field.
From the front of the monument:
3d Maryland Infty.
Col. Joseph M. Sudsburg
1st Brig. 1st Div. 12th Corps
July 2nd 1863.
Occupied this position in reserve.
Late in the afternoon moved to reinforce the left of the line, returning about 9 p.m. and finding the works occupied by the enemy.
Maryland’s Tribute to her Loyal Sons.
From the left side of the monument:
July 3d Under fire in reserve, until about noon. Then occupied the works in front and held them until relieved. Losing in killed Capt. Henry Fenton, Company G. Wounded 1 officer and 6 men.
From the right side of the monument:
Cedar Mountain, Va. Aug. 9, 1862.
Chantilly, Va. Sept 1, 1862
Antietam, Md. Sept 17, 1862.
Chancellorsville, Va. May 1,2,3, 1863.
Gettysburg, Pa. July 2,3, 1863.
Wilderness, Va. May 5,6,7, 1864.
Spottsylvania, Va. May 10,11,12, 1864.
Cold Harbor, Va. June 5-12, 1864
Petersburg, Va. (Charge) June 17, 1864
Petersburg, Va. (Siege) 1864 – 1865
Petersburg, Va. (Crater) July 31, 1864
Petersburg, Va. (Assault and Capture) April 2, 3, 1865.
From the rear of the monument:
Organized at Baltimore, MD
May 11, 1862.
Reenlisted Feb. 4. 1864.
Mustered out July 31. 1865.
Location of the monument to the 3rd Maryland Infantry
The monument to the 3rd Maryland Infantry Regiment is is south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the east side of Slocum Avenue about 300 yards north of Spangler’s Spring. (39°48’57.1″N 77°13’04.2″W)