The monument to the 20th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg in the Rose Wood. It is just northwest of the Devil’s Den on Cross Avenue at the intersection with Sickles and Ayers Avenues. (Ayers Avenue – Loop tour map) The State of Indiana erected and dedicated the monument in 1885.
Colonel John Wheeler, a Crown Point newspaper editor, commanded the 20th Indiana at the Battle of Gettysburg. Wheeler was killed on July 2nd in the fighting in the Rose Woods when he was shot in the temple. Lieutenant Colonel William C. L. Taylor took over until he was wounded. Command then fell to Captain Erasmus C. Gilbreath.
The 20th Indiana Infantry brought 496 men to the field, of whom 32 men were killed, 114 men were wounded and 10 were missing.
Private Oliver P. Rood of company B was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Gettysburg on July 3rd when he captured the flag of 21st North Carolina Infantry Regiment.
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the monument:
20th Regt. Indiana Volunteer Infantry July 2nd, 1863.
Col. John Wheeler killed near by.
Location of the monument to the 20th Indiana
The monument to the 20th Indiana Infantry is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Cross Avenue 50 yards west of the intersection with Sickles and Ayers Avenues. Cross, Sickles and Ayers Avenues are all one way westbound. (39°47’41.5″N 77°14’34.0″W)