Monuments to Individuals at Gettysburg
The monument to Colonel George H. Ward is south of Gettysburg on Emmitsburg Road in the field north of the Codori farm buildings. (Emmitsburg Rd. – Codori Farm tour map)
The monument to Ward’s 15th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment is 250 yards to the east.
About Colonel Ward
George Hull Ward was born in Worcester, Massachusetts in April of 1826. He was active in the militia, commanding the local company. Ward joined the 15th Massachusetts Infantry as lieutenant colonel when the war broke out. He was badly wounded at the Battle of Ball’s Bluff in October of 1861, losing his foot. He recovered to return to the regiment and was promoted to colonel. On July 2 he was struck and mortally wounded by a shell fragment at the site of the marker. He died the next day.
From the front of the monument
Here fell, mortally wounded
July 2d 1863
George H. Ward, Colonel Commanding
15th Mass. Vols.
His comrades and fellow
citizens of Worcester
raise this memorial of his
valor and patriotism.
From the rear:
1st Brig. 2nd Div.
2nd Army Corps.
Location of the monument to George Ward at Gettysburg
The monument to Colonel Ward is south of Gettysburg about 60 yards east of Emmitsburg Road about 160 yards northeast of the Codori farmhouse. (39°48’44.1″N 77°14’19.5″W)