The monument to Pender’s Division is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (West Confederate Avenue – Part 2 tour map)
From the monument
First Brigade Col. Abner Perrin
Second Brigade Brig. James H. Lane
Third Brigade Brig. Gen. Edward L. Thomas
Fourth Brigade Brig. Gen. A. M. Scales
Lieut. Col. G. T Gordon
Col. W. Lee J. Lowrance
Artillery Battalion Four Batteries Major William T Poague
July 1. The Division moved about 8 A. M. in the direction of Gettysburg following Heth’s division. A line of battle was formed on the right and left of the Pike 3 miles from the town. About 3 P. M. a part of Ewell’s Corps appeared on the left and the Union forces making a strong demonstration an advance was ordered. Heth became vigorously engaged. The Division moved to the support passing through the lines forced the Union troops to Seminary Ridge. The Division reformed on the Ridge the left resting on Fairfield Road.
July 2. In position on the ridge not engaged except heavy skirmishing along the line.
July 3. During the morning two Brigades ordered to report to Lieut. Gen. Longstreet as a support to Gen. Pettigrew and were placed in rear of right of Heth’s Division which formed a portion of the column of assault. The line moved forward one mile in view of the fortified position on Cemetery Ridge, exposed to severe fire. The extreme right reached the works but was compelled to fall back. The Division reformed where it rested before making the attack.
July 4. The Division during the night took up the line of march.
Casualties Killed 262 Wounded 1312 Missing 116 Total 1690
Commanding Pender’s Division
Major General William Dorsey Pender commanded the division on July 1st at Gettysburg. Pender was from Edgecombe County, North Carolina. He graduated from West Point in the Class of 1854 and was posted to the 2nd Artillery, later transfering to the 1st Dragoons while serving in Washington Territory. When the war broke out he became a captain of Confederate artillery, but quickly became colonel of the 3rd North Carolina Infantry. He was promoted to brigadier general in June of 1862 after performing well in the Battle of Seven Pines. He was wounded at Glendale, Second Manassas, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. When the army was reorganized after Jackson’s death, Lee gave Pender command of his division.
Pender was mortally wounded in the leg by artillery fragments on July 2nd. After Pender was wounded senior brigade commander James H. Lane took over the division. But Major General Isaac Trimble had recently recovered from a wound and was accompanying the army without a command. Lee assigned him to command Pender’s Division for Pickett’s Charge. Trimble was wounded during the attack and eventually left behind to be captured. Lane again took command of the the division on its return to Virginia.
Pender was evacuated to Staunton, Virginia. He died there on July 13th after an unsuccessful amputation of his leg.
Location of the monument to Pender’s Division
The monument to Pender’s Division is southwest of Gettysburg on the west side of West Confederate Avenue. It is about 750 feet south of the McMillan house and 300 feet north of the McMillian Woods Youth Campground driveway. (39°49’18.3″N 77°14’44.7″W)