The monument to Lane’s North Carolina Brigade is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 2 tour map)
The brigade was commanded by Brigadier General James H. Lane, a Virginia Military Institute graduate (VMI 1854) and a professor there and at the North Carolina Military Institute. Lane briefly took over the division when Pettigrew was mortally wounded on July 1. He returned to command of the brigade when Major General Isaac Trimble was given command of the division and led it through Pickett’s Charge, then once again took command of the division after Trimble was wounded in the charge.
Text from the monument
July 1. Crossed Willoughby Run about 3.30 P. M. and advanced on the right of the Division in the final and successful movement against the Union forces on Seminary Ridge held back Union Cavalry which threatened the flank and had a sharp conflict at the stone wall on Seminary Ridge just south of Fairfield Road.
July 2. Lay with its right in McMillan’s Woods with skirmish line advanced.
July 3. In Longstreet’s assault the Brigade supported the centre of Pettigrew’s Division advancing in good order under the storm of shot and shell and when near the Union works north of the Angle pushed forward to aid the fragments of the front line in the final struggle and was among the last to retire.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1355 Killed 41 Wounded 348 Missing 271 Total 660