The monument to the 16th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue Part 2 tour map)
About the monument to the 16th Vermont
The granite monument stands just over 9′ tall. The front features a relief of a United States Shield overlaid with the regiment’s information. A brass tablet at the base of the monument is inscribed with the regiment’s actions at Gettysburg.
The monument was originally dedicated in September of 1892 by the State of Vermont, placed in the Codori thicket about 1000 feet west of the monument’s present location. This was where the regiment attacked Wilcox’s Brigade in the aftermath of Pickett’s Charge on July 3rd. In 1901 the monument was relocated to the current, more visible and accessible location.
The 16th Vermont at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 16th Vermont was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Wheelock G. Veazey.
The regiment brought 661 men to the field, losing 16 killed, 102 wounded and 1 missing. The regiment had spent most of its nine month enlistment in the Washington defences and guarding rail lines. It was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac on June 25th, and reached Gettysburg on the evening of the 1st of July.
The regiment performed well in counterattacking the Confederate assault on the afternoon of July 2nd, but its most brilliant action was during Pickett’s Charge on the 3rd. As Kemper’s Virginians angled north toward the Copse of Trees the 16th swung out from its position on Cemetery Ridge and tore into their flank. Then the regiment turned around and attacked the flank of Perry’s Florida Brigade, which had been sent to support Pickett.
Like the rest of the Second Vermont Brigade, the 16th was back in Vermont and mustered out to civilian life within a few weeks.
Colonel Wheelock Veazey earned the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 3rd. The citation reads: “Rapidly assembled his regiment and charged the enemy’s flank; charged front under heavy fire, and charged and destroyed a Confederate brigade, all this with new troops in their first battle.”
From the monument:
16th Vermont Infantry,
Colonel W. G. Veazey commanding
First Army Corps
Participated near this point in action of July 2nd
Picketed this line that night – held same as skirmishers
until attacked by Pickett’s Division, July 3rd.
Rallied here and assaulted his flank to the right 400
yards – then changing front charged left flank of Wilcox’s
and Perry’s brigades. At this point captured many hundred prisoners and two stands of colors
The point to which the above inscription refers
is south 58 degrees, west 1000 feet
from this monument
and near the northerly end of the Codori thicket
Location of the monument
The monument to the 16th Vermont Infantry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 190 yards north of Pleasonton Avenue. (39°48’32.9″N 77°14’11.6″W)