The monument to the 4th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Pleasonton Avenue north of the Pennsylvania State Monument. (Pleasonton Avenue tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1889.
The 4th New York Cavalry was commanded during the Gettysburg campaign by Lieutenant Colonel Augustus Pruyn and consisted of 298 men. It was assigned to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps.
From the front of the monumen (top right):
4th New York Cavalry
2nd. Brig. 2nd. Div. Cavalry Corps
From the tablet on the monument’s rear:
This regiment participated in the Gettysburg Campaign until
reaching Hanover Junction June 30th, when with the Brigade it was detached and moved to Manchester where it picketed the surrounding country until July 3rd, when it proceeded to Westminster. On the 4th it joined Kilpatrick’s Division in pursuit of the enemy and with it participated at Monterey Pass that night, and in the many other cavalry engagements until the enemy recrossed the Potomac.
Location of the monument
The monument to the 4th New York Cavalry is south of Gettysburg about 45 yards north of the intersection of Pleasonton and Humphreys Avenues.