The granite monument stands over 25 and a half feet high and is in the form of a castle tower. Bronze tablets are inset on three sides and it is topped with the Maltese cross that is the symbol of the Fifth Corps. The monument was dedicated b the State of Pennslvania on September 12, 1889.
It is a few feet away from a smaller monument to the 91st which has become a tribute to General Weed and Captain Hazlett. This was the original monument to the 91st erected by veterans of the regiment. When state funds became available to build a larger monument in 1889 the original was moved thirty feet to the east to a nearby boulder already inscribed to Lt. Hazlett and new inscriptions were added to honor both Hazlett and Weed.
The 91st Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Joseph H. Sinex. It brought 258 men to the field, losing 3 killed and 16 wounded.
From the front of the main monument:
91st Penna. Infantry.
3rd Brig. 2nd Div. 5th Corps
From the front (east) panel:
July 2. Moving at the double-quick in the evening, the regiment took position here and having aided in repulsing the attack of the enemy upon this line, remained until the close of the battle.
From the north panel:
Present at Gettysburg 258 officers and men. Killed and died of wounds 4 men. Wounded 2 officers 13 men.
Recruited in Philadelphia.
Mustered in Sept & Dec. 1861,
Re-enlisted Dec. 26, 1863,
Mustered out July 10, 1865
From the smaller monument, located just to the east:
91 P.V.V. Reg.
Position July 2 ,3, 4, 1863.
See more on the 91st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War