Union monuments at Gettysburg > Pennsylvania > Infantry 


(34th Pennsylvania Infantry)

The monument to the 5th Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg on Big Round Top. (39.78644° N, 77.239058° W; Google map; Tour map: Big Round Top) It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Monument to the 5th Pennsylvania Reserves at Gettysburg

The 5th Pennsylvania Reserves were commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel George Dare and lost two men wounded.

5th Corps Headquarters Flag 5C-3D

From the front of the monument:

Pennsylvania Reserves
34th Infantry
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division 5th Corps

Mustered in May 28 – June 12, 1861
Mustered out June 11, 1864

Recruited in Centre, Lancaster, Huntingdon, Lycoming, Northumberland, Clearfield, Union and Bradford Counties

Present at Gettysburg 24 officers and 310 men
Wounded 2 men
Total enrollment 1050
Killed and died of wounds 14 offices and 110 men
Died of Disease, etc. 69 men
Wounded 14 officers and 211 men
Captured or missing 5 officers and 115 men
(total) 33 officers and 505 men
Total casualties 533

From the rear of the monument:

Mechanicsville Gaines’ Mill Glendale or New Market
Cross Roads Malvern Hill Groveton 2d Bull Run South Mountain Antietam Fredericksburg Gettysburg Bristoe Station Rappahannock Station Mine Run Wilderness Spotstylvania North Anna Totopotomoy Bethesda Church

Occupied this position on the evening of July 2d
and held it to the close of the battle

Flank markers for the 5th and 12th Pennsylvania Reserves

Flank markers for the 5th and 12th Pennsylvania Reserves

See more on the 5th Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War