(31st Pennsylvania Infantry)
The monument to the Second Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg on Ayers Avenue at the eastern edge of The Wheatfield. (39.796275° N, 77.241204° W; Google map; Tour map: Ayers Avenue – Wheatfield) It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserves was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel George A. Woodward.
From the front of the monument:
2nd Pennsylvania Reserves
Mustered in May 27, 1861
Mustered out June 16, 1864
Recruited at Philadelphia
From the south side:
July 2nd in the evening charged from the hill in rear to this position and held it until the afternoon of July 3d when the Brigade advanced through the woods to the front and left driving the enemy and capturing many prisoners.
From the north side:
Present at Gettysburg
24 officers and 243 men
Killed and died of wounds, 9 men
Wounded 2 offices and 25 men
Captured or missing 1 man
Total enrollment 850
Killed and died of wounds 4 officers 82 men.
Died of disease etc. 2 ” 62 ”
Wounded 21 ” 176 ”
Captured or missing 5 ” 48 ”
Total casualties 400
From the east side:
Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Glendale
or New Market Crossroads, Malvern Hill,
Groveton, 2d Bull Run, South Mountain,
Antietam, Fredericksburg, Getttysburg,
Brsitoe Station, Rappahannock Station,
Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania,
North Anna, Totopotomoy, Bethesda Church.
See more about the 2nd Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War