There are two monuments to the 28th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The original monument on Slocum Avenue was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania in 1885. (39.819178° N, 77.220142° W; Tour map: Culp’s Hill North; Google maps to both monuments)
A second monument was dedicated in 1904 near Rock Creek off South Confederate Avenue, showing the regiments position on the morning of July 2nd. (39.81674° N, 77.214712° W; Tour map: East Confederate avenue)
The 28th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain John H. Flynn. It brought 370 men to the field, losing 3 killed, 23 wounded and 2 missing.
Lieutenant John P. Nicholson of the 28th Pennsylvania would go on to become the Chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commisssion and is honored by a monument on Hancock Avenue.
From the front of the Slocum Avenue monument:
28th Penna. Infantry
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 12th Corps
July 3rd 1863
From the back:
Mustered in June 28th 1861
Re-enlisted December 22d 1863
Mustered out July 18th 1865
Arrived at 3 p.m. July 1st and went into position on the ridge north of Little Round Top at 6.30 a.m. July 2nd moved to Culp’s Hill where the Regiment was advanced to Rock Creek to support the skirmish line. At dark retired and moved with the Brigade returned at about 3 a.m. July 3rd and at 8 a.m. relieved the troops in the breast works. Was relieved in turn and again advanced and occupied the works from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Present at Gettysburg 13 officers and 290 men.
Killed and mortally wounded 6 men. Wounded 1 officer and 19 men. Captured or missing 2 men.
From the front of the monument near Rock Creek:
28th Pennsylvania Infantry
First Brigade Second Division Twelfth Corps
From the tablet on the rear:
The regiment took position here July 2nd abut 8 a.m. Deployed as skirmishers and was engaged with the enemy during the day. Remained until 7 p.m. when it was ordered to rejoin First Brigade.
See more on the 28th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War