Union monuments at Gettysburg > Pennsylvania > Infantry 


(30th Pennsylvania Infantry)

The monument to the First Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg on Ayers Avenue. (39.79665° N, 77.24062° W; Google map; Tour map: Ayers Avenue – Wheatfield) It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Monument to the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves at Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel William C. Talley. It brought 444 men to the field and lost 13 men killed and mortally wounded and 33 men wounded.

A monument to the regiment’s Company K, recruited in Gettysburg, is on Lincoln Square in the center of town.

As the regiment was advancing in its charge on July 2nd its color bearer, Corporal Bertless Slot, was surprised to have the regiment’s flag snatched from his grasp by division commander Brigadier General Samuel Crawford, who had ridden up from behind. After a brief struggle Slott let his general have the flag but ran alongside his horse during the charge, keeping a firm grip on the General’s pants leg until the flag was returned. Crawford’s statue at Gettysburg shows him with the flag but, unfortunately, not Corporal Slott.

5th Corps Headquarters Flag 5C-3D

From around the top of the monument:

30th Infantry   1st Pennsylvania Reserves

From the stone tablet on the front of the monument:

July 2nd in the evening charged from the hill
in rear to this position and held it until the afternoon
of July 3rd when the Brigade advanced through the
woods to the front and left driving the enemy and
capturing many prisoners

From the base of the column:

1st Brigade 3d Division 5th Corps
Co. K recruited at Gettysburg

From the west side:

Present at Gettysburg
26 officers & 418 men.
Killed & died of wounds 13 men
Wounded 3 officers 30 men
Total enrollment 1100
Killed & died of wounds
6 officers 102 men
Died of disease etc.       2    ”   65  ”
Wounded                         16    ”  311  ”
Captured or missing        3
    ”     83  ”
27    ”   561 ”
Total casualties 588

From the south side:

Mustered in May 30
June 10 1861
Mustered out June 13, 1864
Recruited in Chester Lancaster Delaware
York Cumberland and Adams Counties
Co. K recruited at Gettysburg

From the north side:

Mechanicsville Gaines’ Mill
Glendale or New Market
Cross Roads Malvern Hill
Groveton 2d Bull Run
South Mountain Antietam
Fredericksburg Gettysburg
Bristoe Station Rappahannock
Station Mine Run Wilderness
Spotsylvania North Anna
Totopotomoy Bethesda Church

See more about the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War

Monument to the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves at Gettysburg