There are two monuments to the 139th Pennsylvania on the Gettysburg battlefield.
The main monument is north of Wheatfield Road along the driveway to the John Weickert farm. (39.79661° N, 77.23789° W; Tour map: Crawford Avenue & J. Weickert Farm). A smaller monument is on Sickles Avenue at its intersection with Wheatfield Road (39.80112° N, 77.24702° W; Tour map: Sickles Avenue at Excelsior Field) showing the position of the regiment in its advance on July 3. (Google maps to both monuments)
About the monuments to the 139th Pennsylvania
The main monument is granite and stands just over fourteen feet high. On its front is a relief of crossed flags behind an American Eagle, with the Greek Cross symbol of the Sixth Corps in relief above it on all four sides of the cap and a bronze tablet of the Coat of Arms of the State of Pennsylvania just below it on the front face. It was dedicated on September 11th, 1889
The smaller monument is also of granite and stands just over five and a half feet high, forming the Greek Cross symbol of the Sixth Corps. This monument was dedicated in 1886 at the location of the main monument at the Weickert Farm and was relocated to the regiment’s advanced position when the main monument was placed in 1889.
The 139th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 139th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Frederick H. Collier. Collier shot himself in the foot early in the morning on July 3rd, and Lieutenant Colonel William H. Moody then took command of the regiment.
The regiment reached the battlefield on the evening of July 2nd and went into action just as the U.S. Regulars were being driven back from the Wheatfield. After the Regulars withdrew through their line the 139th Pennsylvania counter-charged, halting the Confederate attack.
On the 3rd the regiment advanced after Pickett’s Charge, clearing the area along the Wheatfield Road and recovering a cannon and three caissons of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery which had been lost on July 2nd.
See Lieutenant Colonel Moody’s Official Report of the 139th Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument on the Weickert farm:
139th Pennsylvania Infantry,
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps.
From the left side:
Left Manchester, Md. at 9 p.m. July 1st and arrived at Rock Creek on the Baltimore Pike at 2 p.m. of the 2nd. Towards evening the Brigade moved rapidly tothe front to support the Union left, this Regiment deploying on the right of Little Round Top, and advanced with the 1st Brigade Penna. Reserves, driving the enemy into the Wheatfield.
Retired to and held this position until the evening of the 3rd when the Regiment moved with the Penna. Reserve and advanced about 900 yards to the position indicated by a greek cross tablet, and assisted in forcing the enemy back. Subsequently returned to this position.
Present at Gettysburg 511.
Killed and mortally wounded
4, wounded 16.
From the left side:
Recruited in the counties of Allegheny Armstrong Mercer and Beaver.
Mustered in Sept. 1, 1862.
Mustered out June 21, 1865.
Total enrollment 1070
Killed and died of wounds, 10 officers, 424 men.
Died of disease &c. 5 officers, 29 men.
Captured or missing, 1 officer, 54 men.
From the rear:
Fredericksburg Cold Harbor
Marye’s Heights Petersburg
Salem Heights Fort Stevens
Rappahannock Station Fisher’s Hill
Mine Run Cedar Creek
Wilderness Petersburg (Fort Fisher)
Spotsylvania Petersburg (assault)
North Anna Sailor’s Creek
From the marker on Sickles Avenue:
139th Penna. Vols.
3rd Brigade 3rd. Division 6th Corps
July 2, 3 & 4
Advanced near this point driving the enemy the evening of July 3.
See more on the 139th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War