(41st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment)
The monument to the 12th Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg on Big Round Top. (Big Round Top tour map)
About the monument
The monument stands 18′ 6″ tall and is made of alternating rough and polished pink granite segments, with inscriptions on the polished segments. It has the Maltese Cross symbol of the Union Fifth Army Corps and a bronze plaque of the Seal of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on its front. The monument was dedicated in September of 1890 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The 12th Pennsylvania Reserves were commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Martin D. Hardin (USMA ’59). Hardin was a family friend to Abraham Lincoln and had served as an aide to Robert E. Lee during John Brown’s Harpers Ferry Raid.
From the front of the monument:
Mustered in May 30 – July 3, 1861 –
Mustered out June 11, 1864
Recruited in Philadelphia Wyoming Bradford Dauphin Northampton Westmoreland York Indiana Huntingdon and Franklin Counties
Present at Gettysburg 26 Officers and 294 men
Killed 1 man wounded 1 man
Total enrollment 1100
Killed and died of wounds 1 officer and 112 men;
died of disease etc. 1 officer and 69 men.
Wounded 15 officers and 211 men.
Captured or missing 2 officers and 95 men.
Total Casualties 506
From the rear of the monument:
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Corps
Dranesville Mechanicsville Gaines Mill Glendale or New
Market Cross Roads Malvern Hill Groveton 2d Bull Run
South Mountain Antietam Fredericksburg Gettysburg Bristoe Station Rappahannock Station Mine Run Wilderness Spotsylvania North Anna Totopotomoy Bethesda Church
Occupied this position on the evening of July 2nd and held it to the close of the battle
See more on the history of the 12th Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War
Location of the monument to the 12th Pennsylvania Reserves at Gettysburg
The monument to the Twelfth Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg on the summit of Big Round Top. It can be reached from a walking trail from South Confederate Avenue. South Confederate Avenue is one way eastbound. (39°47’10.7″N 77°14’21.5″W)