“Curtin Light Guards”
About the monument to the 109th
The granite monument stands just under thirteen feet high. The main column of the monument rises from a rough-hewn base and is surrounded by an embattled wall ornamentation hung on three sides with a cartirdge box, canteen and knapsack. Its central segment has fluted columns on each corner and the star symbol of the Twelfth Corps on each side. The monument was dedicated on September 11,1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
A monument following the same design honors the regiment on the battlefield of Wauhatchie, Georgia.
The 109th at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 109th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Frederick Gimber of Philadelphia.
|See Captain Gimber’s Official Report of the 109th Pennsylvania in the Gettysburg Campaign.|
From the front of the monument:
109th Panna. Infantry.
2d Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Corps
July 1. 2. 3. 1863
From the left side:
July 1st. The regiment arrived within two miles of Gettysburg about 5 p.m. and took position on the left of Baltimore Pike. July 2nd it moved here and built these works. In the evening it was withdrawn with the Brigade, and returning in the night, found the works in the possession of the enemy, when it formed at right angles to this line behind a ledge of rocks to the left and rear of this position designated on a marker. After severe fighting on the morning of the 3rd this line was recaptured and held until the close of the battle.
From the right side:
Went into action with 149 officers and men.
Killed 1 color sergeant and 2 men.
Wounded 1 color sergeant and 5 men.
Captured or missing 1 man.
From the rear:
Curtin Light Guards.
Recruited in Philadelphia.
Mustered in December 1861.
Re-enlisted January 1864.
Consolidated March 31st. 1865
with the 111th Pennsylvania Infantry
which was mustered out July 19th. 1865.
See more on the 109th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War