The monument to the 111th Pennsylvania Volunteers is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue.(39.816771° N, 77.21876° W; Google map; Tour map: South Culp’s Hill) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The 111th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Thomas M. Walker.
From the front of the monument:
2d Brigade 2d Division 12th Corps
The Regiment built these works. In the evening of July 2 it was withdrawn with the Brigade, and returning during the night found the enemy in the works. Assisted in repulsing a charge of the enemy at daylight on the 3rd and after seven hours and a half of continuous fighting in which it participated, regained the works and
held them until the close of the battle. Carried into action 259 officers and men. Killed 5 men, wounded 1 officer and 7 men.
From the right side:
Recruited in Erie, Warren and Crawford Counties.
Mustered in January 24, 1862.
Re-enlisted December 28, 1863.
Mustered out July 19, 1865.
Total enrollment 1850.
Killed and died of wounds 7 officers 137 men.
Died of disease &c. 4 officers 163 men.
Wounded 25 officers 285 men.
Captured or missing 5 officers 65 men.
Total loss 691.
From the rear:
New Hope Church
Peach Tree Creek
March to the Sea
Durham Station (Surrender)
See more on the 111th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War