The monument to the 102nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg near Wheatfield Road. (Crawford Ave. & J. Weickert Farm tour map) It was dedicated in 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
While most of the regiment guarded trains and picketed roads in the rear, a detachment of 103 men commanded by Lieutenant Robert W. Lyon arrived at Gettysburg with a supply train and was thrown into the defensive line north of Little Round Top. They suffered no casualties.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
102nd Pennsylvania Infantry
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps
From the left side of the monument:
July 1. The Regiment was detailed at Manchester to guard trains to Westminster. At the latter place a detachment of 3 officers and 100 men was sent to Gettysburg with the supply train and on its arrival the morning of the 3rd was posted on this line. The rest of the Regiment picketed the roads leading from Westminster to Gettysburg until the close of the battle.
From the right side of the monument:
Recruited in Allegheny and Butler Counties
Mustered in August 1861. Re-enlisted December 1863
Mustered out June 28, 1865.
Total enrollment 2100.
Killed and died of wounds 10 officers 169 men
Wounded 23 officers 518 men
Died of disease, etc.1 officer, 37 men
Captured or missing 5 officers 131 men
Total 39 officers 905 men
From the rear of the monument:
Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, Antietam Fredericksburg, Marye’s Heights, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Fort Stevens, Charlestown, Opequon, Fisher’s Hill, Cedar Creek, Petersburg Fort Fisher, Petersburg Assault, Sailor’s Creek, Appomattox
Location of the monument to the 102nd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 102nd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg north of Wheatfield Road on the east side of the driveway to the J. Weikert farm. (39°47’50.8″N 77°14’14.6″W)