The monument to the 1st Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour map) A marker for the regiment’s Company H, which operated independently of the main regiment during the Battle of Gettysburg, is located on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue. (Sedgwick Avenue tour map)
The 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel John P. Taylor. It brought 344 men to the field and suffered two men missing. Although normally assigned to the Second Division of the Cavalry Corps, at Gettysburg most of the regiment was attached to Army Headquarters. Company H was detached as Sixth Army Corps headquarters escort.
From the front of the monument:
First Pennsylvania Cavalry
1 Brigade 2 Division Cavalry Corps
Army of the Potomac
From the tablet on the left side of the monument:
Mustered in July-Sept. 1861 Re-enlisted Jan-Feb. 1864.
Consolidated with the 6 and 17 Penna. Cavalry to form the 2 Provisional Penna.
Cavalry June 17, 1865. Mustered out August 7, 1865.
At the opening of the artillery fire on the afternoon of July 3 the Regiment was in
line to the left and rear of this position with orders from General Meade to “charge
the assaulting column should it succeed in breaking the infantry line in front.”
Present at Gettysburg 30 officers and 388 men
Total enrollment 1500
Killed and died of wounds, officers 8, men 37
Wounded, officers 22, men 256
Died of disease etc., officers 2, men 106
Captured or missing, officers 4, men 102
Total casualties 537
From the tablet on the right side of the monument:
Recruited in Montgomery, Berks, Blair, Cumberland, Juniata, Mifflin, Centre,
Clinton, Greene, Fayette, Washington and Allegheny Counties
Participated in 66 engagements among which are the following:
Dranesville, Strasburg, Harrisonburg, Cross Keys, Cedar Mountain, Thoroughfare
Gap, Gainesville, 2 Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Aldie, Middleburg,
Gettysburg, Shepherdstown, Muddy Run, Culpeper, Rapidan River, Sulphur Springs,
Auburn, Bristoe Station, Mine Run, Todd’s Tavern, Davenport, Fortifications of
Richmond, Hawes’ Shop, Cold Harbor, Trevillian Station, White House, St. Mary’s
Church, Reams’ Station July 12, 1864, Malvern Hill, Charles City Cross Road,
Reams’ Station August 26, 1864, Hatcher’s Run, Dinwiddie Court House, Paines’
Cross Roads, Amelia Springs, Sailor’s Creek, Farmville, Appomattox
Location of the main monument to the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 55 yards northeast of the High Water Mark. (39°48’46.0″N 77°14’07.0″W)
Marker to Company H, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
From the Company H marker:
Co. H 1st Penn’a Cavalry
Arrived on field
with Sixth Corps
July 2, 1863.
Killed – 1 man
Regiment since Feb.
1863 on special
Sixth Army Corps
Capt. Wm. S. Craft
Location of the marker to the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
The monument to Company H of the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue about 0.25 mile north of Wheatfield Road. Sedgwick Avenue is one way northbound. (39°47’52.6″N 77°14’04.7″W)