Other Monuments at Gettysburg


The High Water Mark of the Rebellion in front of the Copse of Trees on the Gettysburg battlefield

The monument to the High Water Mark of the Rebellion is south of Gettysburg at the eastern edge of the Copse of Trees. (39.812467° N, 77.23573° W; Google map; Tour map: Hancock Avenue Part 3) It was dedicated in 1892 by the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association. The monument is in the form of a giant bronze book opened to display two pages which list the units of both sides that took part in Longstreet’s Assault on July 3, 1863. The book stands on a stone base set with tablets.

Monument to the High Water Mark of the Rebellion at the Copse of Trees on the Gettysburg battlefield

From the tablet on the front of the monument:

Commands Honored.
In recognition of the patriotism and gallantry displayed
by their respective troops who met or assisted to repulse
Longstreet’s Assault
the following states have contributed to erect this tablet:
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota.

Monument to the High Water Mark of the Rebellion at Gettysburg

From the left side of the book:

High Water Mark
of the Rebellion. 

This copse of trees was the landmark
toward which Longstreet’s Assault was directed
July 3, 1863.
The assaulting column

was composed of
Kemper’s, Garnett’s and Armistead’s Brigades of
Pickett’s Division,
Archer’s Davis’, Pettigrew’s & Brockenbrough’s Brigades of Heth’s Division
and Scales’ and Lane’s Brigades of
Pender’s Division,
supported on the right by
Wilcox’ and Perry’s Brigades of
Anderson’s Division;
on the left by Thomas’ and McGowan’s Brigades of
Pender’s Division,
and assisted by the following artillery:
Cabell’s Battalion
consisting of
Manly’s Fraser’s, McCarthy’s & Carlton’s Batteries.
Alexander’s Battalion,
Woolfolk’s, Jordan’s, Gilbert’s, Moody’s, Parker’s & Taylor’s Batteries,
Eschelman’s Battalion,
Squires, Richardson’s, Miller’s & Norcom’s Batteries,
Dearing’s Battalion,
Stribling’s, Caskie’s, Macon’s & Blount’s Batteries,
Cutt’s Battalion,
Ross’s Patterson’s & Wingfield’s Batteries,
Poague’s Battalion,
Wyatt’s, Graham’s, Ward’s & Brooke’s Batteries,
Pegram’s Battalion,
Mc Craw’s, Zimmerman’s Brader’s, Marye’s & Crenshaw Battery.
Mc Intosh’s Battalion, 
Rice’s Hurt’s Wallace’s & Johnson’s Batteries,
Carter’s Battalion, 
Reese’s, Carter’s, Page’s & Fry’s Batteries,
Brown’s Battalion,
Watson’s, Smith’s Cunningham’s & Griffin’s Batteries.

Monument to the high Water Mark of the Rebellion at Gettysburg

From the right side of the book:

Repulse of
Longstreet’s Assault.

Longstreet’s Assault
was repulsed by

Webb’s, Hall’s & Harrow’s Brigades of
Gibbon’s Division Second Army Corps; 
Smyth’s & Willard’s Brigades and
portions of Carroll’ Brigade of
Hays’ Division Second Army Corps;
and the First Massachusetts Sharp-Shooters
(unattached)
Portions of Rowley’s & Stannard’s Brigades of
Doubleday’s Division First Army Corps;
Hazard’s Second Corps Artillery Brigade, 

consisting of
Woodruff’s, Arnold’s, Cushing’s Brown’s & Rorty’s Batteries,
assisted on the right by
Hill’s, Edgell’s, Eakin’s, Bancroft’s, Dilger’s & Taft’s Batteries
on Cemetery Hill;
and on the left by
Cowan’s, Fitzhugh’s, Parson’s, Wheeler’s, Thomas’,
Daniels’ & Sterling’s Batteries and
McGilvery’s Artillery Brigade
consisting of 

Thompson’s, Phillip’s, Hart’s, Cooper’s, Dow’s, & Ames’
Batteries,
and by Hazlett’s Battery on Little Round Top.
And supported by
Doubleday’s Division of the First Army Corps
which was in position
on the immeidate left of the troops assaulted.
The Third Army Corps
moved up to within supporting distance on the left, and
Robinson’s Division of the First Army Corps
moved in to position to support the right.

Designed by and erected under the Superintendence of John B. Batchelder

Cast by the Henry-Bonnard Bronze Co., New York, New York

Monument to the high Water Mark of the Rebellion at Gettysburg

From the rear of the monument:

Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association
Organized April 30, 1864
Directors 1895

Governor Daniel H. Hastings, President
Colonel Charles H. Buehler, Vice Preseident
Calvin Hamilton, Secretary
J. Lawrence Schick, Treasurer

John B. Bachelder
Colonel George C. Briggs
Brevet Major Gen. Joseph B. Carr
Major Gen. S.W. Crawford
Brigadier Gen. Lucius W. Fairchild
Brevet Major Gen. D. McM. Gregg
Brevet Major Gen. George S. Greene
First Lieut. C.E. Goldsborough
Brevet Major Chill W. Hazard
Jacob A. Kitzmiller
John C. Linehan
Captain Edward McPherson
Captain H.W. McKnight
Major Gen. Daniel E. Sickles
Major Gen. Henry W. Slocum
Captain Frank D. Sloat
Samuel McC. Swope
Colonel Wheelock C. Veazey
John M. Vanderslice
Brevet Brig. Gen. Lewis Wagner
Brevet Major Gen. Alex S. Webb
Brevet Lieut. Col. Charles Young
Brevet Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson

Monument to the High Water Mark of the Rebellion at Gettysburg