There are two monuments and a marker to Battery B, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery on the battlefield at Gettysburg. (Google maps to all three monuments)
A smaller monument west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue shows the position the battery held on July 1st.(39.832375° N, 77.250974° W; Tour map: South Reynolds Avenue)
A small pedestal near the monument on East Cemetery Hill is the remnant of the original monument to the battery placed by its survivors around 1879.
A marker on Hancock Avenue shows the battery’s position during Pickett’s Charge. (39.806146° N, 77.234909° W; Tour map: Hancock Avenue Part 1)
The battery was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain James H. Cooper.
From the front of the main monument on East Cemetery Hill:
First Pennsylvania Light Artillery,
(Penn’a. Reserve Volunteer Corps)
Artillery Brigade First Corps
Present at Gettysburg, 114 officers and men.
Killed 3 wounded 9.
Ammunition expended (4 guns) 1050 rounds.
From the left side:
July 1, 1863: Battery arrived at 12 m. took position and was engaged between Hagerstown Road and Chambersburg Pike near Willoughby Run; changed position to the right an swept Oak Hill with its fire. Withdrew to Theological Seminary, where it fought till after 4 p.m.; retired to this position where it remained until close of heavy artillery contest with the enemy’s batteries on Benner’s Hill, during afternoon engagement of July 2 when relieved by Rickett’s Battery.
July 3: Was engaged on left center during the final attack and second repulse of the enemy.
From the right side:
Organized April 26, 1861.
At Mount Jackson, Lawrence County.
Entered United State Service June 8, 1861.
Mustered in U.S. Service June 28, 1861.
Re-enlisted, January 4, 1864.
Mustered out, June 9, 1865.
Total enrollment 332.
Killed and died of wounds 21.
Died of disease 17. Wounded 52.
Ammunition expended 11,200 rounds.
From the rear:
1861 – Engagements – 1865.
Gaines Mill, Mine Run,
New Market Cross Roads, Wilderness,
Malvern Hill, Spotsylvania,
Gainesville, North Anna,
Second Bull Run, Bethesda Church,
South Mountain, Cold Harbor,
Fredericksburg, Weldon Railroad,
Fitzhugh’s Crossing, Petersburg (Capture),
From the monument on Reynolds Avenue:
First Pennsylvania Artillery
Commanded by Capt. James H. Cooper,
4 – 3 inch rifled guns
July 1, 1863 the battery arrived here about noon and engaged Confederate Artillery on Herr’s Ridge. About 1:30 p.m. moved to the rear. Changed front, engaged Carter’s Artillery and shelled Rodes’ Infantry on Oak Hill. About 3 p.m. moved to the woods in front of Theological Seminary and resisted the final attack of Scales‘, Perrin’s and other Brigades.
Casualties – 3 killed, 9 wounded
From the marker on Hancock Avenue:
Army of the Potomac
Volunteer Artillery Brigade
First Penna. Light Artillery
Four 3 inch Rifles
Captain James H. Cooper commanding
July 3 Moved to this position from East Cemetery Hill at 3 p.m. during a heavy cannonade and opened fire upon a Confederate Battery in front.
In half an hour a line of Confederate Infantry approached over the crest of the hill about 1000 yards distant.
The Battery in connection with the Batteries in line fired case shot until the Confederates reached canister range a few charges of which compelled their retreat.
Casualties. Killed 3 men.
Wounded 1 officer and 8 men. Total 12.