The monument to the 66th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill, at the eastern edge of the parking area. (Culp’s Hill North tour map; 39.820096° N, 77.219591° W; map location) It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Ohio.
A nearby marker shows the spot where Major Joshua G. Palmer was mortally wounded.
The 66th Ohio was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Eugene Powell. It brought 316 men to the field, of whom 17 were wounded.
From the front of the monument:
66th Ohio Infantry
From the right side:
The 66th Ohio Infantry arrived in position just north of Little Round Top at 5 p.m. July 1. Morning of July 2 moved to Culp’s Hill and entrenched. At day break July 3 advanced over the Union breastworks and with right here and left at tablet below. Opened an enfilading fire upon the enemy.
From the rear:
The 66th Ohio Infantry was mustered into service for 3 years Dec. 17, 1861. Reenlisted as Veteran Regiment Dec. 16, 1863 and was mustered out July 15, 1865.
Total enrolled 1334. Killed 117. Died 167. Wounded 320.
From the left side:
Port Republic June 9. 1862
Dug Gap, In Rocky Face
New Hope Church
Peach Tree Creek
From Major Palmer’s marker:
July 3, 1863
Here Major J.G. Palmer fell mortally wounded.
Casualties in this position: Killed 1
The 66th Ohio Infantry is also honored on a monument at Antietam.