The monument to the 29th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Ohio.
The 29th Ohio Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Wilber F. Stevens. He was slightly wounded on July 3, and Captain Edward Hayes then took command.
Stevens’ name was left off the monument. This may be because Adjutant J. B. Storer, who contributed to the monument’s design, thought him a coward for his conduct at Cedar Mountain and for leaving the field at Gettysburg with only a slight wound.
From the front of the monument:
29th Ohio Infantry
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 12th Corps.
This memorial is erected by the State of Ohio
From the rear:
Port Republic June 6, 1862.
Dug Gap in Rocy Face
Resaca, New Hope Church
Peach Tree Creek
The 29th Ohio Infantry
Commanded by Captain Edward Hayes, J.B. Storer Adjutant
Occupied several positions in this vicinity, both
in the intrenchments and in reserve, July 2 and 3, 1863
From the left side:
July 2d and 3d 1863.
Engaged 332 – killed 7
Wounded 31 – 2 mortally
Total loss 38
From the right side:
Mustered in for 3 yrs.
Aug. to Dec. 1861
Reenlisted as Veterans
Dec. 10, 1863.
Mustered out July 8-13, 1865.
Location of the monument to the 29th Ohio Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg
The monument to the 29th Ohio is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Slocum Avenue about 100 yards north of the intersection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’04.3″N 77°13’09.5″W)