“Warren Rifles”

The monument to the 95th New York is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue south of the Railroad Cut. (39.837428° N, 77.248073° W; Google map; Tour map: North Reynolds Avenue) It was dedicated on July 1, 1893 by the State of New York.

Markers also show the regiment’s location on Stone Avenue (Tour map: Stone & Meredith Avenues), at the corner of Doubleday and Wadsworth Avenues, on the corner of Chambersburg Pike and Seminary Avenue (Tour map: Seminary Ridge Avenue); and on Culp’s Hill.

About the monument to the 95th New York

The monument stands 12′ tall, made of white granite topped with a sphere of polished Thousand Islands red granite. The sphere, the full moon symbol of the First Corps, rests on a carved granite knapsack. A smaller round First Corps symbol is on the front base of the monument. A bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of New York is on the top front, with bronze text tablets on the right and left sides.

The 95th New York at Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel George H. Biddle. He was wounded on July 1st. and Major Edward Pye took command.

The 95th brought 261 men to the field. It was one of the first Union infantry regiments to reach the battlefield, originally forming line of battle at 10 a.m. on July 1st at the site of the marker on Stone Avenue. But within a short time the Confederates of Davis’ Brigade were starting to flank the Union position by moving through the railroad cut north of Chambersburg Pike. The 95th New York joined in a charge which drove them out, inflicting heavy losses.

The regiment reformed north of the cut at the site of the noon marker. But continuing Confederate pressure forced the Union line back to the area around the Seminary shown by the 4 p.m. marker, where the 95th supported the final First Corps artillery line before retreating throught Gettysburg to Cemetery Hill.

After reforming south of Gettysburg the regiment was sent to Culp’s Hill, which it helped defend on July 2nd and 3rd.

1st Corps Headquarters Flag 1C-1D

Monument to the 95th New York Infantry Regiment next to the Railroad Cut at Gettybsurg

 

From the front of the main monument:

95th New York Infantry.
2nd Brigade 1st Division 1st Corps

From the tablet on the left (north) side:

July 1, 1863.
This Regiment was formed south of the McPherson House and engaged the enemy at 10 a.m. at 10:30 a.m. changed front. Advanced to this position with the 84th New York and 6th Wisconsin. Repulsed and captured a large part of Davis’ Mississippi Brigade in the railroad cut.

From the tablet on the right (south) side:

At noon, July 1st, held position on Oak Hill indicated by marker;
being outflanked moved to right of Seminary supporting Battery B, 4th U.S.

Retired from that position to Culp’s Hill, where it remained during July 2nd and 3rd

Casualties
Killed 7. Wounded 62. Missing 46.
Mustered in October 15, 1861.
Participated in 18 engagements
Mustered out July 16, 1865.

Marker showing the 95th New York's position at 10 a.m. on July 1

Marker showing the regiment’s position at 10 a.m. on July 1

From the Stone Avenue marker:

95th N.Y. Infantry
July 1st, 1863
10 A.M.

Marker showing the 95th New York's position at noon on July 1

Marker showing the regiment’s position at noon on July 1

From the Doubleday Avenue marker:

95th N.Y. Infantry
July 1st, 1863 12 M.

Marker showing the 95th New York's position at 4 p.m. on July 1

Marker showing the regiment’s position at 4 p.m. on July 1

From the Seminary Avenue marker:

95th N.Y. Infantry
July 1st, 1863
4 P.M.

Marker showing the 95th New York's position on Culp's hill at Gettysburg

Marker showing the regiment’s position on Culp’s hill

From the Culp’s Hill marker:

95th N.Y. Infantry
July 2 and 3
1863

See more on the 95th New York in the Civil War