“14th New York State Militia”
There are three monuments to the Fourteenth New York State Militia on the Gettysburg Battlefield.
The main monument is northwest of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue near the Railroad Cut (39.837613 N, 77.248494 W; Tour map: North Reynolds Avenue) It was dedicated by the State of New York on October 10, 1887.
A marker on Stone Avenue was erected in 1893 and shows the regiment’s position during the morning of July 1st. (39.835815° N, 77.252904° W; Tour map: Stone & Meredith Avenue)
A second marker was dedicated in 1890 south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill, showing the regiment’s position on July 2nd and 3rd. (39.817076 N, 77.219574 W; Tour map: South Culp’s Hill; Google maps to all three monuments)
The 14th New York State Militia was an established prewar regiment. It was mustered into Federal service and fought at Bull Run under that designation, although it was often referred to as the 14th Brooklyn. In December of 1861 it was given the designation of 84th New York Infantry, but successfully petitioned to continue to be known as the 14th.
About the main monument to the 14th Brooklyn
The monument is made of Westerly, Rhode Island Granite and stands 18′ 8″ tall. The statue represents an enlisted man of the 14th Brooklyn loading his rifle and dressed in the chasseur uniform that gave the regiment its nickname of the “Red Legged Devils”. The model for the soldier was the regiment’s Lieutenant Henry W. Mitchell, who was wounded on July 1st at Gettysburg.
The 14th Brooklyn was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Edward Fowler, a Brooklyn bookkeeper. It took 356 men into battle.
From the base of the front of the monument on Reynolds Avenue:
On this spot at 10.30 a.m. July 1, 1863, this regiment participated in the repulse of Davis Mississippi Brigade and the capture
of a large portion of that command took into the engagement 356 officers and men and by the War Department record lost during the three days 217.
From the oval tablet on the right side:
14th Brooklyn Regt.
From the base on the right:
July 1. First engaged the enemy between the McPherson House and Reynolds Grove. Subsequently moved to this place and engaged Davis’ Brigade. Remained at the railroad cut at Seminary Ridge until the final retreat. Had a running fight through Gettysburg to Culp’s Hill. On the evening of the 2nd and again on the morning of the 3rd went to support Greene’s Brigade and was heavily engaged (see marker).
From the oval tablet on the left side:
14th Regt. N.Y.S.M.
2nd Brigade 1st Division 1st Army Corps
From the base on the left:
Erected and dedicated A.D. 1887.
From the base of the rear:
The 14th Regiment New York State Militia (84th N.Y. Vols.) entered the U.S. Volunteer service April 18, 1861. Participated in 22 engagements with the enemy and was discharged on expiration of term of service June 6, 1864.
The marker on Stone Avenue
From the marker on Stone Avenue:
Here, in the forenoon, July 1st, 1863, the Regiment opened fire on A.P. Hill’s Corps; afterwards charged successfully on Davis’ Brigade at the railroad to the right and rear of this position as indicated by a monument there; later had a running fight through Gettysburg to Culp’s Hill, where at night July 2nd, repulsed the advance of Johnson’s Division ofEwell’s Corps, then moved to the right to reinforce the 12th Corps, as recorded on tablet in boulder to the right of the hill. It lost in the battle 13 killed, 105 wounded and 99 missing.
The marker on Culp’s Hill
From the tablet on the marker on Culp’s Hill:
14th. [Brooklyn] Infantry, N.Y.S.M. [84th N.Y. Vols.]
2d. Brig. 1st. Division. 1st. Corps.
Here at about 9 p.m. July 2nd, 1863 the Regiment while moving from the position to the left of this to reinforce Greene’s Brigade, unexpectedly encountered the advance of Johnson’s Division of Ewell’s Corps, which had crossed the abandoned works and was advancing towards the Baltimore Pike. By opening fire on them the Regiment caused them to halt until the 12th Corps returned and drove them back.
At Daylight July 3rd the Regiment rejoined the Brigade, but soon afterwards moved again to the right to reinforce the 12th Corps and fought in the trenches and lay in reserve until the repulse of the enemy.
In the first day’s battle this Regiment was heavily engaged with the 1st Corps at the Railroad beyond the Seminary as indicated by a monument there.
It lost in the battle 13 killed, 105 wounded and 99 missing.
From the top of the boulder holding the tablet:
Dedicated A.D. 1890
The regiment is also honored by a monument at Antietam.