The granite monument is 11’ high, capped with a pyramid with the trefoil symbol of the Second Corps at the top. A round brass tablet with the seal of the State of New York is inset near the top front, and a brass arrangement of cartidge box and bayonet over crossed laurel branches is near the base. The monument was dedicated on July 8th, 1889 by the State of New York.
Lieutenant Colonel Max Thoman, a liquor salesman from New York City, commanded the 59th at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was mortally wounded on July 3rd and died on July 11. Captain William McFadden took command when Colonel Thoman fell.
The 59th New York brought 182 men to the field. It had just consolidated to a battalion of four companies in June due to previous losses. It is also honored by a monument at Antietam.
|Sergeant James Wiley of Company B was awarded the Medal of Honor for capturing the flag of a Georgia regiment on July 3rd.|
From the front of the monument:
59th New York Infantry.
3d Brigade, 2d Div. 2d Corps
From the rear:
Four companies of this regiment held this position July 2 and 3, 1863, where Max A. Thoman, Lieut. Colonel in command, fell mortally wounded. Casualties: killed 6, wounded 28.
From the right side:
Mustered in July 4, 1861.
Participated in 23 engagements.
Mustered out June 30, 1865.
From the left side:
See more on the 59th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War