Dedicated in 1893, this ‘castle’ on Little Round Top is the largest regimental monument on the Gettysburg battlefield. It was designed by Daniel Butterfield, the original Colonel of the 12th New York and Meade’s Chief of Staff at Gettysburg. It stands 44 feet high and 12 feet wide, dimensions that represent the two regiments, and has a spiral staircase to a second floor observation deck. The tower, which is not open to the public, is topped by the Maltese Cross symbol of the Fifth Army Corps.
Five bronze tablets outside the monument display information about the regiments. Inside, more tablets display the muster rolls of each company and reliefs of Generals Butterfield and Francis Barlow.
The 44th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel James C. Rice, who took over the brigade during the battle, leaving command of the regiment to Lieutenant Colonel Freeman Conner. It brought 460 men to the field, losing 26 killed, 82 wounded and 3 missing.
The 12th New York consisted of two companies, D and E, and brought 117 men to the field, suffering no casualties. It was commanded at Gettysburg by Captain Henry W. Ryder.
Two bronze tablets flank the door on the west side of the emonument. From the right tablet:
The 44th N.Y. Infantry, Lieut. Colonel Freeman Conner
commanding, held position about 100 feet in advance of
this monument, designated by a marker, from about 3 p.m. July 2, to about 11 a.m. July 3, 1863.
Number engaged 313.
Killed, 2 officers, 24 enlisted men
Wounded, 5 officers (of whom one died), 75 enlisted
men (of whom ten died).
Total loss, 106.
At noon of July 3rd, was placed in reserve at the right of Little Round Top where it remained until close of the battle.
From the left tablet, west side:
The 44th New York Infantry was organized at Albany, N.Y., August 8th—October 21, 1861. Number enlisted, 1096. Assigned to Brigade commanded by General Daniel Butterfield Subsequently known as 3d Brig. 1st Div. 5th Corps, A. P. In October 1862, two full companies, one of Albany State Normal School students, and the other from Yates Co., N. Y. were added. Total enrollment, 1585.
Yorktown, Hanover Court House, Gaines’ Mill, Malvern Hill, Groveton, Antietam, Shepherdstown Ford, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Middleburg, Gettysburg, Jones’ Cross Roads, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Bethesda Church, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Spring Church.
Killed, 3 officers, 122 enlisted men.
Wounded, 35 officers (of whom one died), 504 enlisted men
(of whom sixty-two died).
Died of disease, 2 officers, 145 enlisted men.
Missing in action, 50 enlisted men.
Mustered out at Albany N.Y. Oct. 1864.
Men whose term had not expired transferred to 140th
and 146th N.Y. Infantry.
From the right tablet flanking the entryway on the east side of the monument:
12th N.Y. Infantry
D & E Companies
Lt. Col. H.W. Ryder Com’d’g.
3d Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Corps
On Duty at 5th Corps Headquarters
July 1st, 2nd & 3rd 1863
From the left tablet flanking the east entryway:
12th N. Y. Infantry or some part of it was present at all battles of the 5th Corps Army of the Potomac from Hanover Court House May 27th 1862 to Appomattox April 9th 1865
A bronze tablet is on the south side of the doorway to the castle tower on the second level:
The 12th N.Y. Regt. at Gettysburg
It had two companies under Lt. Col. Ryder, on duty at Headquarters as Provost Guard 5th Corps and Headquarters Army of the Potomac.
On the 1st day of battle, General Francis Channing Barlow (formerly Lieut. of 12th) was severly wounded commanding 1st Div. 11th Corps.
On 2nd day of battle, General Daniel E. Sickles (formerly a captain of 12th) was severely wounded commanding 3rd Army Corps.
On the 3rd day of battle, General Daniel Butterfield (who, as Colonel, brought the 12th Regt. to the war) was wounded and disabled at Headquarters as Chief of Staff of the Army.
At the begining of the war, this was the first Reg’t to cross Long Bridge on advance of the Union Army May 24th 1861.
At Appomattox the two companies of the 12th consolidated with the 5th N.Y Vet. Infy. under Lt. Col. H. W. Ryder & Maj. Paul A. Oliver took charge of the surrendered Confederate arms.
It had 66 enlisted men killed or died of wounds received in action, 67 enlisted men died of disease, 4 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.
It had officers killed or died of wounds in various battles: Captain Wm. H. Hoagland, Captain Jas. Cromie, Captain Jos. Turkington, Captain Henry C. Burton, Captain Wm. Stockman Woods, Lieut. Edward M. Fisher.
Inside the monument’s lower level are tablets showing Generals Butterfield and Barlow, both formerly of the 12th New York, and the rosters of both regiments.