The monument to the 8th New Jersey Volunteers is south of Gettysburg on De Trobriand Avenue in the Rose Woods. (39.79599° N, 77.245585° W; Google map; Tour map: DeTrobriand Avenue – The Wheatfield) It was dedicated by the State of New Jersey on June 30th, 1888.
The 8th New Jersey was commanded at the Battle of Gettybsurg by Colonel John Ramsey. He was wounded on July 2nd and Captain John Langton took command.
From the front of the monument:
8th New Jersey Volunteers
Col. John Ramsay
3d Brig. [Burling’s] 2d Div. 3d Corps
Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
From the left side:
Engaged here July 2nd, 1863, being detached from the Brigade.
Supported batteries on Cemetery Ridge July 3.
Took into action 170.
Killed 7. Wounded 7 officers, 31 men.
Missing 2. Total 47.
From the right side:
Mustered in Sept. 4, 1861.
Mustered out July 17, 1865.
Engaged in 38 battles.
Casualties: Killed 3 officers, 125 men.
Wounded 38 officers 583 men.
Died 2 officers, 149 men.
See more on the 8th New Jersey in the Civil War