The monument to the 7th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the south end of Sickles Avenue. (39.801487° N , 77.246743° W; Google map; Tour map: Sickles Avenue at Excelsior Field) It was dedicated by the State of New Jersey on June 30th, 1888.
The regiment brought 331 men to the field. It was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Louis R. Francine, who was mortally wounded on July 2nd, dying on the 16th. Major Frederick Cooper then took command of the regiment.
From around the base of the monument:
7th N.J. Vols. July 2, 1863
Killed 24, Wounded 77, Missing 13, Total 114.
First position 300 yards N.E. of this. Heavily engaged there. Moved here to reinforce Graham’s Brigade.
Mustered in Sept. 3 1861, Mustered out July 17, 1865. Engaged in 38 battles
3d Brig. (Burlings) 2nd Div 3rd Corps
Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
Here Colonel Francine Fell
See more on the 7th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War