The monument to the 1st Massachusetts Sharp Shooters is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (39.813661° N, 77.235443° W; Tour map: Hancock Ave. at The Angle) A position marker is on the south side of Cyclorama Drive about 60 yards east of the end of Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove. (39.816997° N, 77.234129° W; Google maps to both monuments)
A position marker is about 425 yards north in Ziegler’s Grove along the old Cyclorama Drive. (39.816997° N, 77.234129° W; Tour map: Taneytown Road) It was displaced in the 1960’s with the construction of the Cyclorama complex but will return to its original location now that the Cyclorama building has been removed.
About the monument
The seven foot high marble shaft has a carved relief on its front of one of the company’s Sharp Shooters about to fire his target rifle as he peers through the telescopic sight. It was erected in 1886.
The 1st Massachusetts Sharp Shooters at Gettysburg
The company was commanded at Gettysburg by Captain William Plumer, a Harvard graduate and lawyer from Lexington. He had been wounded in June and rode in an ambulance to Gettysburg. The company brought 50 men to the field, losing two killed and six wounded.
Originally formed for Colonel Hiram Berdan’s sharpshooter regiments, the two companies of Massachusetts sharpshooters remained independent when told that they would lose the state enlistment bounty by joining Berdan’s Federal regiments. The two companies of Massachusetts Sharpshooters were nominally independent, although each operated with a Massachusetts regiment. The 1st Company operated with the 15th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment.
From the monument:
1st Andrew Sharp Shooters
Unattached Mass. Vol.
July 3, 4 & 5, 1863
in different positions.
In God we put our trust
but kept our powder dry.
From the marker in Ziegler’s Grove:
July 2nd, 1863
See more on the 1st Massachusetts Sharp Shooter Company in the Civil War
The Massachusetts Andrew Sharpshooters: