The marker for the Fourth Alabama Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on South Confederate Avenue. (39.787259° N, 77.25412° W; Google map; Tour map: South Confederate Avenue) It was erected on March 1,1904, the only marker to a Confederate infantry regiment put up during the administration of the park by the War Department.
At about the same time the War department was creating markers for brigade and division headquarters and Confederate artillery batteries they attempted to create markers for Confederate infantry regiments. They met resistance, however, from the Confederate veterans groups, and this was the only one that was created. It was funded by a former member of the regiment.
The 4th Alabama was commanded at Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence H. Scruggs.
July 2. Left New Guilford 25 miles distant at 3 a.m. Arrived here and formed line about 4 p.m. and under fire from Smith’s Union Battery on Rocky Ridge and the Sharpshooters in Plum Run Valley. Advanced at once against the Union Position on Little Round Top. The Regiment encountered the 83d Penna. and right wing of the 20th Maine. The conflict lasted until night-fall.
July 3. Occupied breastwork on western slope of Round Top with firing on skirmish line. At 5 p.m. intercepted near the Slyder house and aided in repulsing the Union Cavalry under Brig.-Gen. Farnsworth and pursued it into the forest south of the valley. About 11 p.m. the regiment under orders resumed position near here and lay inactive the next day and night.
July 5. About 5 a.m. began the march to Hagerstown.
Present officers and men about 275. Killed and wounded 87.
See more on the 4th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War