There are two monuments to the 1st Vermont Volunteer Cavalry Regiment south of Gettysburg. The main monument is in the Slyder field near Confederate Avenue. It was dedicated by the State of Vermont in 1889. (Bushman Hill & Slyder Farm tour map) A second monument is nearby on South Confederate Avenue, but is generally seen as a monument to Major (later Major General) William Wells, and is shown on another page.
About the 1st Vermont Cavalry at Gettysburg
The 1st Vermont Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Addison W. Preston. It brought 687 men to the field, losing 13 killed, 25 wounded and 27 missing.
From the front of the Slyder Field monument:
First Regiment Vermont Cavalry
First Brig. Third Div. Cavalry Corps
In the Gettysburg campaign this
regiment fought Stuart’s Cavalry at
Hanover, Pa. June 3d, and at Hunterstown
July 2d; and on this field July 3, led by
Gen. Elon J. Farnsworth, who fell near this
spot, charged through the First Texas Infantry
and to the line of Law’s Brigade, receiving
the fire of five Confederate regiments and
two batteries, and losing 67 men.
From the rear of the monument:
Entered the United States service Nov. 19, 1861.
Mustered out Aug. 9, 1865. Took part in the
battles of Gettysburg, Wilderness, Yellow
Tavern, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Waynesboro,
Five Forks, Appomattox Station and 67 other
battles and engagements. Aggregate 2297
officers and men. Killed and mortally
wounded in action 102; died of disease and
by accidents 123; died in Confederate prisons
172, – total 397. Total wounded in action 275.
Location of the monument to the 1st Vermont Cavalry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 1st Vermont Cavalry is south of Gettysburg on the north side of South Confederate Avenue about 130 yards west of the pull-off, which is about 1.2 miles east of Emmitsburg Road. (39°47’12.8″N 77°14’37.7″W)