“Second Regiment Bucktail Brigade”
There are two monuments to the 150th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The main monument is west of town on Stone Avenue. (Stone & Meredith Avenues tour map) A secondary monument is along Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue Pt. 3 Tour map)
The 150th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Langhorn Wister until he took over brigade command on July 1. Lieutenant Colonel Henry S. Huidekoper then took over the regiment until he was wounded. Major Chamberlain having already been wounded, Captain George W. Jones took command of the regiment.
The 150th Pennsylvania brought almost 400 men to Gettysburg in nine companies. The Hancock Avenue monument lists a total of 264 casualties out of the 397 engaged: 53 killed, 134 wounded and 77 missing.
The 150th Pennsylvania’s Company K never served with the regiment in the field. When the regiment first arrived in Washington the company was detailed as a personal bodyguard to President Lincoln, which continued until the regiment was mustered out. Keep a sharp eye while watching Stephen Spielberg’s Lincoln and you can briefly see a member of Company K, bucktail in his hat, guarding the President.
|Lieutenant Colonel Huidekoper and Corporal J. Monroe Reisinger of Company H were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on July 1st. Huidekoper “While engaged in repelling an attack of the enemy, received a severe wound of the right arm, but instead of retiring remained at the front in command of the regiment” and Reisinger for “Specially brave and meritorious conduct in the face of the enemy. “|
See Lieutenant Colonel Huidekoper’s and Captain Jones’s Official Reports of the 150th Pennsylvania in the Gettysburg Campaign
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac|
Main monument to the 150th Pennsylvania
The main monument to the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry is west of town on Stone Avenue. (Stone & Meredith Avenues Tour map) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania, taking the place of an earlier monument that was moved to Hancock Avenue (see below).
From the front of the main monument on Stone Avenue:
150th. Penna. Infantry.
(2d. Regt. Bucktail Brigade.)
2d. Brig. 3d. Div. 1st. Corps.
From the left side:
July 1 The Regiment held this position from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Present at Gettysburg 397.
Killed and mortally wounded 53.
Captured or missing 77.
From the rear:
This monument marks the most
advanced line facing west, occupied
by the regiment. Repeated changes
of front were made to meet
assaults from the north and west
and the right wing charged to
R.R. cut. In retiring it made
several stands and engaged the
enemy. Evening of the 2d moved
to support the left and held
position on Emmitsburg Road.
Morning of the 2d moved to
left centre and remained until
the close of battle.
From the right side:
Recruited in Philadelphia, Crawford, McKean, and Union Counties.
Mustered in Aug. – Sept. 1862.
Mustered out June 23, 1865.
Location of the main monument to the 150th Pennsylvania
The main monument to the 150th Pennsylvania is northwest of Gettysburg on the east side of Stone Avenue, about 120 yards south of Chambersburg Road. Stone Avenue is one way southbound. (39°50’12.8″N 77°15’08.0″W)
Secondary monument to the 150th Pennsylvania on Hancock Avenue
This was the original monument to the 150th Pennsylvania. It was first erected by the survivors of the regiment along Reynolds Avenue in 1888. When the state-funded monument was created in 1889 this monument was moved to its current location on Hancock Avenue, showing the regiment’s position on July 2 and 3.
From the front of the Hancock Avenue monument:
July 2d. & 3d.
150th. Regt. P.V.
From the left side of the monument:
July 1st. This
Pike. Beyond the
town, where its
Losing 53 killed,
134 wounded and
77 missing. A total
of 264 out of
From the rear of the monument:
July 2d in evening
in front of this
two guns. Remained
on skirmish line
From the right side of the monument:
July 3d held this
heavy fire until
close of battle.
McKean, & Union
in Sept. 4, 1862.
June 23, 1865.
Location of the secondary monument to the 150th Pennsylvania
The secondary monument to the 150th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue, about 65 yards southeast of the United States Regulars monument. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’38.3″N 77°14’07.9″W)