There are two monuments to the 143rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield, a main monument west of Gettysburg (South Reynolds Avenue tour map) and a position marker south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue (Hancock Avenue Part 3 tour map).
About the 143rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 143rd Pennsylvania brought 515 men to the field, losing 21 killed, 141 wounded and 91 missing. It was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel Edmund L. Dana. He took over command of the brigade on July 1 from the wounded Colonel Roy Stone until he was also wounded. Lieutenant Colonel John D. Musser took command of the regiment.
|Sergeant James M. Rutter of Company C was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1st when “at great risk of his life went to the assistance of a wounded comrade, and while under fire removed him to a place of safety.”|
See Lieutenant Colonel John D. Musser’s Official Reports for the 143rd Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac|
Main monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania Infantry
The main monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania was erected in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania west of Gettysburg along Chambersburg Road. It shows the regiment’s location during the fighting of July 1st.
The front of the monument is a bas-relief of Sergeant Ben Crippen shaking his fist at advancing Confederates. Crippen was killed bearing the flag during the retreat through the town on July 1st. His body was not recovered and he is assumed to be one of the “unknowns” in the National Cemetery.From the front of the monument:
143d Penna. Infantry
2d Brigade 3d Div. 1st Corps
From the rear of the monument:
This monument marks right of
first position July 1, 1863, facing
north and second position
facing west, which the Regiment
held from 11:30 a.m.
until First Corps fell back.
Last position on Seminary Ridge
right resting on railroad cut.
July 2d & 3d
Regiment was in line on left centre
and on the 3rd assisted in repulsing
the final charge of the enemy
Present at Gettysburg, 45
Killed officers 1, men 20.
Wounded officers 11, men 130.
Captured or missing 91 men.
Total loss 253
Recruited in the counties of
Luzerne, Susqueshanna, Wyoming
Mustered in Aug. Oct. 1862
Mustered out June 12th 1865
Location of the main monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on the south side of Chambersburg Road immediately to the west of Reynolds Avenue. (39°50’11.8″N 77°14’57.3″W)
Secondary monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The 143rd’s secondary monument is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. It was erected in 1895 and shows the regiment’s position on July 2nd and 3rd.
From the Hancock Avenue monument:
143rd Penna. Infantry
2nd Brig. 3rd Div. 1st Corps
Held this position July 2nd and 3rd 1863
and assisted in the repulse of the enemy on the 3rd.
Monument erected on 1st days field
near Reynolds Grove where the regiment lost 145 killed
and wounded and 91 missing out of 465 present for duty.
Losses here 16 killed and wounded.
Army of the Potomac
From the rear:
Wilderness. Laurel Hill.
Spotsylvania. North Anna.
Bethesda Church. Cold Harbor.
Petersburg. Weldon R.R.
Vaughn Road. Hatchers Run.
Mustered in Luzerne Co. Aug. 26, 1862.
Mustered Out. June 12, 1865.
Location of the secondary monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The secondary monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 225 yards north of Pleasonton Avenue. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’35.5″N 77°14’10.1″W)