The monument to the 40th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg at the intersection of Crawford Avenue and Warren Avenue near Devil’s Den. (Devil’s Den tour map)
About the monument to the 40th New York
The granite monument stands just over six feet high. It depicts a soldier concealed behind rocks, rifle in hand. Bronze tablets in the diamond shape of the symbol of the Third Corps are on the front and left side, while a circular bronze inset of the Seal of the State of New York is on the right side.
The monument was dedicated by the State of New York on July 2nd 1888. A quarter of the money to create the monument came from the State of Massachusetts, who provided four companies when the regiment was formed.
The 40th New York at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 40th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Thomas W. Egan, a clerk from New York City. He was slightly wounded on July 2nd but remained in the field. The regiment’s name comes from it being formed under the auspices of the Mozart Hall Committee, a New York City political group. It brought 606 men to the field.
See Colonel Egan’s Official Report for the 40th New York for the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
40 N.Y. Infty.
3rd. Brig. 1st. Div. 3rd. Corps.
July 2, 1863, 4-30 p.m.
Killed 23 Wounded 120 Missing 7
From the left side:
This Regiment was mustered in June 27, 1861.
Mustered out June 27, 1865.
Companies B, C, H, & K were from the state of Massachusetts.
Casualties in the regiment during the war,
Killed officers 9, men, 220,
Wounded officers 40, men 692.
Missing officers 2, men 266.
Location of the monument
The monument to the 40th New York is south of Gettysburg just north of the Devil’s Den about 40 yards northeast of the intersection of Crawford and Warren Avenues.