The monument to the 5th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg Road between the Klingle Farm and Sickles Avenue. (Emmitsburg Road & North Sickles Aveue tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New Jersey on June 30th, 1888.
Colonel William J. Sewell commanded the 5th New Jersey at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was wounded on July 2nd. Capt. Henry H. Woolsey took command of the regiment for the rest of the battle even though he was slightly wounded on July 2nd. Sewell was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May, two months before Gettysburg, and went on to become a state and U.S. Senator.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
5th New Jersey Vol’s.
Col. William J. Sewell
3rd. Brig. Burling’s
2d Div. – 3d Corps,
July 2, 1863
Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
From the right side of the monument:
The regiment first held the skirmish line 400 yards to the
front and left of this spot, and afterwards took position
in the line of battle here.
From the left side of the monument:
Losses, Killed 18 Wounded 60, Missing 16
Total 94, being one half the numbers engaged
From the rear of the monument:
Mustered in Aug. 22, 1861
Consolidated with 7th Reg., N.J.V. Nov. 6, 1864
Engaged in 32 battles.
Location of the monument to the 4th New Jersey Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 5th New Jersey is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg Road
120 yards southwest of the intersection with Sickles Avenue. (39°48’26.9″N 77°14’42.6″W)