The monument to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 6th Corps is south of Gettysburg on Wright Avenue. (Howe & Wright Avenues tour map)
The Vermont Brigade would win a reputation as one of the top fighting brigades of the army. But at Gettysburg it saw no action, arriving late on July 2nd and being placed in a reserve position protecting the flank.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Sixth Corps Second Division
Col. Lewis A. Grant
2d 3d 4th 5th 6th Vermont Infantry
July 2. Arrived about 5 P. M. after a march of 33 miles from Manchester Md. Moved to the left and at dark to the extreme left with one Regiment the 5th Vermont on picket.
July 3. The Brigade advanced a short distance and took position with its right on east slope of Round Top its left on the Taneytown Road and remained until the close of the battle under no fire except that from artillery.
Casualties Wounded 1 Man
Colonel Lewis A. Grant
Colonel Lewis A. Grant commanded the brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg. Grant was a lawyer from Bellows Falls who had taught school in New Jersey, Massachusetts and Vermont. He became major of the 5th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment when it was formed in September of 1861. Grant was promoted to colonel in September of 1862, and was wounded at Fredericksburg. He recovered, and in February of 1863 took command of the Vermont Brigade as senior colonel. Grant was awarded the Medal of Honor for his conduct at the Battle of Salem Church, where he was wounded.
Grant continued to command the brigade after Gettysburg except when temporarily commanding the division. He was promoted to brigadier general in April of 1864, and was wounded again at Petersburg. In October of 1864 he was promoted to brevet major general. After the war he was offered a commission as colonel of the 36th Infantry but declined, returning to his law practice. He would become the Assistant Secretary of War under Benjamin Harrison.
Location of the monument to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 6th Corps at Gettysburg
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Wright Avenue. It is about 750 feet west of the intersection with Taneytown Road.