“New Jersey Brigade”
The monument to the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps is south of Gettysburg on Sedgwick Avenue. (Sedgwick Avenue tour map)
Torbert’s Brigade arrived at the end of the day on July 2nd and was in reserve for the rest of the battle, taking minor casualties from artillery fire.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Sixth Corps First Division
Brig. Gen. Alfred T. A. Torbert
1st 2d 3d 4th 15th New Jersey Infantry
July 2. Arrived at 4 P. M. from Manchester Md. A distance by the route taken of about 35 miles having halted an hour only. After sunset moved to the east slope of the north side of Little Round Top and arriving there at dark was held in reserve.
July 3. Moved to a position southeast of the Weikert House and remained until the close of the battle. Not engaged except on the skirmish line.
Casualties Wounded 11 Men
Brigadier General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Brigadier General Alfred T.A. Torbert commanded the brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg. Torbert (West Point Class of 1855) was a career Army officer from Delaware. He was appointed colonel of the 1st New Jersey Infantry Regiment in September of 1861, commanding it through the Peninsula Campaign. Torbert took command of the brigade at Second Bull Run after Brigadier General Taylor was wounded. He led the brigade at South Mountain, where he was wounded at Crampton’s Gap. Torbert was promoted to Brigadier General in November of 1862, and returned to lead the New Jersey Brigade at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.
In April of 1864 Torbert was given command of the 1st Cavalry Division. When Sheridan was given command of the Army of the Shenandoah Torbert was appointed to command of the army’s cavalry corps. After Early was defeated and Sheridan returned with the cavalry to the Army of the Potomac, Torbert remained in the valley to command the remnants of the Army of the Shenandoah. He resigned from the army in 1866.
Location of the monument to the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps at Gettysburg
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue. It is about 550 feet south of the intersection with United States Avenue.