Army and Corps Headquarters Markers


The Headquarters marker is a Confederate-made 12-pounder Napoleon cast in Augusta, Georgia in 1864, set into a hexagonal granite base. Bronze tablets are set into the face of the base and on the cannon barrel. It was erected in 1920 by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.

Headquarters marker for the 3rd Corps

Headquarters marker for the 3rd Corps

Text from the marker

C.S.A.
Army
of Northern Virginia
3rd Corps Headquarters
Lieut. General
Ambrose P. Hill
Divisions
Major Genl. R. H. Anderson
Major Genl. Henry Heth
Major Genl. William D. Pender
July 1, 2, 3, 4, 1863

These headquarters were located at
a farm-house 540 yards westerly

Location of the Marker

The headquarters marker for the Third Corps is southwest of Gettysburg. It is on the west side of West Confederate Avenue about .85 of a mile south of the start of the Avenue at West Middle Street. It is about 200 feet beyond the State of North Carolina Monument and just before the State of Tennessee Monument. (39° 49.076′ N, 77° 14.89′ W)

About A.P. Hill

The newly created Third Corps was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant General Ambrose Powell Hill, a career army officer and West Point graduate (West Point Class of 1847) from Virginia. Before that he had been the division commander of the Light Division in Lieutenant General “Stonewall” Jackson’s Second Corps. The men of the Light Division became part of the Third Corps after the army reorganization frollowing Jackson’s death in May 1863.