Union monuments at Gettysburg > United States Regulars  > Infantry


The monument to the 4th United States Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Ayers Avenue. (Ayers Avenue – Loop tour map) The regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Captain Julius W. Adams, Jr. He had graduated with the West Point Class of June 1861 and had been wounded at Gaines’ Mills. Adams would go on to be mortally wounded at Cold Harbor in 1864.

Monument to the 4th United States Infantry at Gettysburg

5th Corps Headquarters Flag 5C-2D

From the monument:

Army of the Potomac
Fifth Corps
Second Division, First Brigade
Fourth U.S. Infantry
Four Companies.
Captain Julius W. Adams, Jr. commanding

July 2 Arrived in the morning and took position near the line of the Twelfth Corps. The Regiment with the Brigade moved from the right to the left of the line and at 5 p.m. advanced across Plum Run near Little Round Top and supported the Second Brigade in its advance to the crest of the rocky wooded hill beyond and facing to the left engaged the Confederates but returned under a heavy fire on both flanks and from the rear after the Confederates had gained a position in the Wheatfield in the rear of the Brigade.

July 3 Remained in the same position.

July 4 The Regiment with the Brigade made a reconnaissance and developed a force of the Confederate Infantry and Artillery in front and engaged on the skirmish line well to the front.

Casualties: killed 10 men, wounded 2 officers and 23 men.

Location of the monument to the 4th United States Infantry at Gettysburg

The monument to the 4th United States Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the east side of the Ayers Avenue loop. (39°47’42.7″N 77°14’26.9″W)

See more on the history of the 4th United States Infantry Regiment in the Civil War