The monument to Battery F, 4th United States Artillery, is south of Gettysburg on Hunt Avenue just west of the Baltimore Pike.
Lieutenant Sylvanus T. Rugg commanded the battery at Gettysburg. Lieutenant Edward D. Muhlenberg, the battery’s nominal commanding officer, had taken over the brigade as senior officer. Rugg was a Massachusetts native who joined early in the war and was made a brevet 2nd Lieutenant in October of 1862. He would continue to command the battery until he was dismissed in July of 1864.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Battery F Fourth U.S. Artillery
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. Sylvanus T. Rugg commanding
July 1. Approached Gettysburg on the Baltimore Pike to Two Taverns and took position to counteract any movements of the Confederates from towards Hanover. At noon moved to the Hanover Road and marched to within one and one half miles of Gettysburg.
July 2. Took position so as to command a gap between the First and Second Corps.
July 3. At 1 a.m. posted opposite the centre of the line of the Twelfth Corps and at 4:30 opened fire on the Confederates who had taken possession of a portion of the line of the Twelfth Corps the preceding night. Continued firing until after 10 a.m. when the Confederates were driven from the line. In the afternoon the Battery was exposed to a severe shelling which passed over Cemetery Hill.
Casualties: wounded 1 man
Location of the monument to Battery F at Gettysburg
The monument to Battery F, 4th United States Artillery is south of Gettysburg on Hunt Avenue just west of the Baltimore Pike.