The monument to the 81st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg in The Wheatfield. (39.7966 N°, 77.24196° W; Google map; Tour map: Ayers Avenue – Wheatfield) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The regiment’s commander, Colonel Henry B. McKeen, was temporarily transferred to the 148th Pennsylvania Infantry on June 30 to fill in for its sick colonel. Lieutenant Colonel Amos Stroh commanded the regiment during the Battle of Gettysburg and for some time afterward, as Colonel McKeen took over brigade command after the death of Colonel Cross on July 2.
From the monument:
81st Penna. Infantry.
1st Brig. 1st Div. 2d Corps
Fought on this line in the afternoon of July 2nd
Present at Gettysburg 175 officers and men
Killed and died of wounds 9 men
Wounded 5 officers and 40 men
Captured or missing 8 men
Total Loss 62
From the right side:
Total enrollment 1620
Killed and died of wounds 17 officers and 187 men
Wounded 44 officers and 516 men
Captured or missing 3 officers and 130 men
Total Loss 1050
From the left side:
Recruited in Philadelphia Carbon and
Mustered in August 6 to October 27 1861.
Re-enlisted December 23, 1863.
Mustered out June 29 1865.
From the rear:
Yorktown, Fair Oaks, Peach Orchard, Savage’s Station, White Oak Swamp, Glendale, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Kelly’s Ford, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, Reams Station, Petersburg (Squirrel Level Road), White Oak Road, Sutherland Station, Amelia Court House, Farmville (Cumberland Church), Appomattox
See more on the 81st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War