The monument to the 46th Pennsylvania Volunteers is southeast of Gettysburg along Slocum Avenue on Culp’s Hill. (39.81527° N, 77.217155° W; Google map; Tour map: South Culp’s Hill) It was dedicated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1889.
The 46th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel James L. Selfridge.
From the front of the monument:
46th Penna. Infantry
July 2. The Regiment constructed and held these works until evening when the Division moved to support the left of the line. Returning in the night the enemy was found in the works. And the Regiment was posted in the open field in the rear until the enemy was driven out. When it returned and held the works until the close of the battle.
1st Brigade, 1st Division 12th Corps
From the tablet on the lower front of the monument:
July 3, 1863 p.m. ordered to support of the centre between General Meade’s headquarters and the fighting line and in reserve. After repulse of Longstreet’s assault returned to breastworks. July 4, a.m. Reconnoitered towards Hanover. Returned through Gettysburg and encamped.
From the left side of the monument:
Present at Gettysburg 262.
Killed 2 men. Wounded 1 officer 9 men. Missing 1 man.
From the right side of the monument:
Recruited in the counties of Mifflin, Allegheny, Lehigh, Northampton, Dauphin, Berks, Potter, Luzerne & Northumberland.
Mustered in Sept. 2, 1861.
Re-enlisted Jany. 13, 1864.
Mustered out July 16, 1865.
From the rear of the monument:
Gettysburg • Resaca
Cassville • Dallas
Peach Tree Creek
March to the Sea
Savannah • Averysboro
See more on the 46th Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War