The monument to the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Emmitsburg Road in front of the Sherfy farmhouse. (39.80353° N, 77.24877° W; Tour map: Emmitsburg Rd. & Sickles Ave) A marker on Hancock Avenue (bottom right) shows the regiment’s position at the end of Pickett’s Charge. (39.813499° N, 77.23464° W; Tour map: Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove; Google maps to both monuments)
About the monument to the 114th Pennsylvania
The monument to the 114th Pennsylvania is a bronze statue of a Zouave loading his rifle, suported by a seven foot tall granite base. The diamond symbol of at the foot of the Third Army Corps is at the foot of the statue. The base of the monument was dedicated on July 2nd, 1886 by the State of Pennsylvania. The statue itself was added and dedicated on November 11, 1888.
The monument was one of three badly damaged by vandals in early 2006 but has been restored.
The 114th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Frederick F. Cavada, who was captured on July 2nd. Captain Edward R. Bowen then took command. The 114th brought 312 men to the field, losing 9 killed, 86 wounded and 60 missing.
|See Captain Bowen’s Official Report on the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteers at Gettysburg|
A monument to Colonel Collis, the colonel of the 114th, is in the National Cemetery. Collis missed the battle of Gettysburg due to a wound from Chancellorsvile but went on to become a long-time Gettysburg resident at his home, “Red Patch,” on Seminary Ridge.
From the front (north side) of the monument:
114 Penn’a Vols. Inf’y.
Erected by the surviving members of 114 Regt. Penna. Vols. to mark the position held by that organization on the second day of the memorable battle fought on this field the 1, 2 & 3 days of July A.D. 1863 and in memory of that command, who here laid down their lives in defense of their country’s flag.
From the east side:
Killed and Wounded
95 Officers and Men
From the west side:
1st Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps.
From the south side:
Dedicated July 2, 1886.
From the marker on Hancock Avenue:
114th Regiment Penna. Infantry
Capt. Edward R. Bowen Commanding
1st Brigade 1st Division 3d, Corps
July 3d. 1863
See more on the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War