“The Wild Cat Regiment”
About the monument to the 105th Pennsylvania
The granite monument to the 105th Pennsylvania is just under fifteen and a half feet tall. Its top is incised with the diamond symbol of the Third Corps on all four sides. A round bronze relief of the head of a wildcat is on the front of the monument just above a bronze tablet of the Coat of Arms of the State of Pennsylvania. The monument was dedicated on September 11, 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 105th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 105th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Calvin A. Craig, a merchant from Greenville, who was wounded on July 2nd.
|See Colonel Craig’s Official Report on the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteers at Gettysburg|
From the front of the monument:
105th Pennsylvania Infantry
1st Brig. 1st Div. 3d Corps
July 2nd. Position from 2 to 4 p.m.
Moved across the Emmitsburg road. Being outflanked the Regiment
changed front facing south and formed line along the lane at right
angles to the road from which it retired fighting.
Present at Gettysburg 17 officers 257 men
Killed or died of wounds 2 officers 18 men
Wounded 13 officers 95 men
Missing 9 men.
Total loss 132.
Wild Cat Regiment
From the rear:
From the right side:
Yorktown Mine Run.
Fair Oaks Spotsylvania.
Oak Grove North Anna.
Malvern Hill Cold Harbor.
Bristoe Stn Petersburg.
2d Bull Run Strawberry Plains.
Chantilly Deep Bottom.
Fredericksburg Poplar Springs Church. Chancellorsville Boyton Road
Gettysburg Hatcher’s Run.
Auburn Amelia Springs.
Kelly’s Ford Appomattox
See more on the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War