About the monument
The granite monument is just under twelve feet tall. It represents the carved relief of a mounted cavalryman standing on picket, carbine in hand. It was modeled after the regiment’s Sergeant George W. Ferree. On the reverse is the crossed sabers symbol of the Cavalry Corps. The monument was dedicated on September 11, 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry at Gettysburg
The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Josiah H. Kellogg of Erie. It brought 448 men to the field, losing four wounded.
The 17th was part of the Cavalry Corps. Companies D & H were detached to 5th Corps HQ and Company K was detached to 11th Corps HQ.
From the monument:
17th Pennsylvaia Cavalry
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Cavalry Corps,
Army of the Potomac
The Regiment held this position on the morning of July 1, 1863, from 5 O’clock until the arrival of First Corps troops. The Brigade then moved to the right, covering the roads to Carlisle and Harrisburg and holding the enemy in check until relieved by troops of the Eleventh Corps. It then took position on the right flank of the infantry, and, later, aided in covering the retreat of the 11th Corps to Cemetery Hill, where it went into position with the Division on the left of the army.
Recruited in Beaver, Susquehanna, Lancaster, Bradford, Lebanon, Cumberland, Franklin, Schuylkill, Perry, Luzerne, Montgomery, Chester and Wayne Counties
Mustered in September 1st, 1862. Mustered out June 16th, 1865.
The regiment in whole or in part participated in 55 engagements among which were the following: Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Mine Run, Wilderness, Todd’s Tavern, Sheridan’s First Expedition, Cold Harbor, Trevillian Raid, Deep Bottom, Fishers Hill, Winchester, Gordonsville, Goochland C.H., Five Forks, Sailor’s Creek, Appomattox
See more on the 17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War