The monument to the Third Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, Battery H is east of Gettysburg on Hanover Road (East Cavalry Battlefield – south end tour map), and a maker is on South Hancock Avenue (Hancock Avenue Part 1 tour map) The monument was dedicated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1891 and the tablet was erected in 1913.
Monument on Hanover Road
The two gun section of Battery H had one of the more unusual roads to reach the Battle of Gettysburg. The battery was not part of the Army of the Potomac, but was assigned to the Middle Military Department at Baltimore. Battery H had traded their heavy artillery for 3″ Ordnance Rifles in May and were serving as field artillery. Captain Rank’s section of two guns were assigned to guard the bridge over the Monocacy River outside Frederick, Maryland in company with Company A of the Purnell Legion Cavalry.
With Lee’s army invading the north, Rank’s guns and the cavalry were ordered back toward Baltimore. They were on their way to Relay House when they were almost scooped up by Stuart’s Cavalry raid.
After their narrow escape and with large numbers of Rebel cavalry at large between them and Baltimore, they gladly attached themselves to McIntosh’s Cavalry Brigade when it passed by the next day. Four days later they were at Gettysburg. The battery brought 52 men to the field.
From the monument:
3d Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery
1st Brigade 2d Division Cavalry Corps
Mounted as a battery of light artillery May 6 1863
Second Section Participated in the Battle
From right side:
Mustered in January 19 1863
Mustered out July 25, 1865
From left side:
Temporarily attached to
the 1st Brigade 2d Division Cavalry Corps
from June 28 to July 7 1863
Location of the monument
The monument to Battery H of the the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery is on the north side of Hanover Road 1.4 miles east of the US 15 interchange. (39°49’07.8″N 77°10’22.8″W)
Marker on South Hancock Avenue
From the marker on Hancock Avenue:
Army of the Potomac
Second Division First Brigade
3rd Penna. Heavy Artillery
Section Battery H
Two 3 Inch Rifles
Captain William D. Rank
July 2. Marched with the 2d Cavalry Division and went into position on the Hanover Road 3 miles from Gettysburg.
July 3. In position here in early morning and was engaged in the afternoon assisting in the repulse of Longstreet’s assault.
Loss Missing 1 Man
Location of the marker
The position marker to Battery H of the the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery is on the west side of Hancock Avenue 300 yards north of United States Avenue. (39°48’17.1″N 77°14’05.0″W)
See more on the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery in the Civil War