The monument to Company A of Maryland’s Purnell Legion is east of Gettysburg on the East Cavalry Field. (39.826459° N, 77.164611° W; Google map; Monument map: East Cavalry Battlefield – south) It was dedicated in 1890 by the State of Maryland.
The company brought 78 men to the field and had no casualties. It was temporarily attached to the Cavalry Corps, 2nd Division, 1st Brigade.
Company A was not technically part of the Army of the Potomac. At the start of Lee’s invasion it had been guarding the bridge over the Monocacy River outside of Frederick, Maryland with a section of the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. The detachment was retreating to the safety of the Baltimore garrison when they were almost snapped up by Stuart’s Cavalry raid in the rear of the Union army. They joined with McIntosh’s Cavalry Brigade when it passed by the next day, which brought them to the field outside Gettysburg.
From the front of the monument:
Co. A Purnell Legion
Maryland’s Tribute to her loyal sons.
From the rear:
This detached Company commanded by Capt. Robert E. Duvall,
served in the cavalry engagement on this flank, July 2nd and 3rd, 1863.
Organized at Pikesville Md.
Sept. Oct. and Nov. 1861
Mustered out at Fort Monroe Va.
July 28, 1865
See more on Maryland’s Purnell Legion Cavalry in the Civil War