Union monuments at Gettysburg > Ohio 


The monument to Companies A and C of the First Ohio Cavalry is south of Gettysburg on Taneytown Road near the Hummelbaugh Farm. (39.808268° N, 77.23062° W; Google map; Tour map: Pleasonton Avenue)

Monument to the 1st Ohio Cavalry at Gettysburg

Company A was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Noah Jones and was assigned to the headquarters of the 3rd Cavalry Division of the Cavalry Corps. Company C was commanded by Captain Samuel N. Stanford and was assigned to the headquarters of the 2nd Cavalry Division of the Cavalry Corps . The two companies totalled 85 men and suffered no losses.

From the front of the monument:

Companies A and C
1st Ohio Cavalry
Headquarters Guard
2d and 3d Divisions
Cavalry Corps.

Erected by the State of Ohio

From the left side:

Companies A and C
1st Ohio Cavalry
—-
July 1,2,3, 1863
—-
During the Battle of Gettysburg these companies furnished bearers of  dispatches to different parts of the field.  In the course of the  campaign they several times vigorously engaged the enemy.

From the right side:

Companies A and C
1st Ohio Cavalry
—-
Were organized for 3 years autumn of 1861.
Served in the Virginias until Spring of 1864.
Were then sent west to join the regiment, serving with the Army of the Cumberland.
Reenlisted as veterans in December, 1863.
Participated in many important battles and in  the capture of the  Confederate President.
Mustered out in September, 1865.

See more on Companies A and C of the 1st Ohio Cavalry in the Civil War