The Jacob Hummelbaugh farm is south of Gettysburg, on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue at Taneytown Road. (Tour map: Pleasonton Avenue) On July 2nd and 3rd, 1863 it was just behind the lines of the Union 2nd Corps on the east side of Cemetery Ridge. The 2nd Corps used the farm as a field hospital, and the wounded Confederate General William Barksdale was treated here before he died on July 2nd. Union Cavalry commander General Alfred Pleasanton also had his headquarters here from July 4th through July 6th.
Jacob Hummelbaugh was a widower. His son, Leander, was away in the 138th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, which was not at the Battle of Gettysburg. It was assigned to the Harpers Ferry garrison and at the time of the battle was escorting stores to Washington to prevent them from falling into the hands of Lee’s army. Leander was badly wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864.
The monument visible in the distance above the pump on the left of the photograph is the United States Regulars monument on Hancock Avenue, showing how close the farm is to the scene of some of the battle’s heaviest fighting.
Today the house and barn are owned by the National Park Service.