1st Regiment United States Sharpshooters,
Companies A, B, D & H
The monument to the New York Sharpshooters is southwest of Gettysburg on Berdan Avenue, just off West Confederate Avenue. (West Confederate Avenue – Part 4 tour map)
Col. Hiram Berdan’s two regiments of sharpshooters were unique in the Union army, using different uniforms, weapons, equipment and tactics from the “line units”. Although operating as United States Army units, each company within the regiments was formed of recruits from a single state. After the war the states (Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Wisconsin) erected monuments to their respective companies.
The 1st Regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel Berdan until he took command of the brigade. Lieutenant Colonel Casper Trepp then took over.
The 1st Regiment as a whole brought 371 men to the field and lost 6 killed, 37 wounded and 6 missing.
From the front of the monument:
1st. U.S. Sharpshooters
2d. Brig. 1st Div. 3d Corps
From the left side of the monument:
This monument is dedicated to the brave men of this command who fell at Gettysburg.
From the right side of the monument:
One hundred sharp shooters reconnoitered to this spot about 12. M. July 2d 1863, losing here nineteen men. They first developed the enemy’s threatened attack upon our left and rear. July 3rd the Regiment supported batteries along Cemetery Ridge. On the 4th it picketed and skirmished near the Peach Orchard.
Killed 6, wounded 37, captured 6, Total 49.
From the rear of the monument:
was recruited in 1861,
from five northern states,
and had four New York companies
(“A”, “B”, “D”, and “H”.).
3rd, 5th, and 2nd Corps, participating in
forty-three battles and skirmishes,
from Yorktown (1862)
to Appomattox (1865)
Location of the monument to the New York Sharpshooters at Gettysburg
The monument to the New York Sharpshooters is southwest of Gettysburg on Berdan Avenue, a short spur off West Confederate Avenue about 1.7 miles south of Fairfield Road/West Middle Street. (39°48’28.8″N 77°15’27.2″W)